Tuesday, April 15, 2014

New Favorite Treats!

Hi!
So let me start off by saying I was wearing shorts a few days ago sweating in the sun running around the track…I woke up to snow this morning! I guess that is what I get for putting my car snow brush away! But on a happier note let me tell you about my new favorite dessert...proyo (protein Greek yogurt)! I was vegan a few years ago and had cut all dairy out of my diet. I had always been a vegetarian and for a school project I decided to try a vegan diet and it just stuck! I now incorporate some animal products into my diet, because honestly you can't beat a natural high quality source of protein! I used to hold the impression that dairy is the devil, and I still do hold that belief about certain dairy products, but boy was I missing out not eating Greek yogurt! Greek yogurt has 120 calories a cup with 9 g carbs and 23 g of protein! With summer and warmer weather (fingers crossed) on its way, this protein frozen yogurt recipe will be a great treat! My second favorite treat Quest bars, which I have talked about before but now I tried broiling them! I can not even explain how delicious they taste broiled or baked!

Recipe:
Proyo
-1/2 cup Greek non fat plain yogurt (I personally like Oikos brand)
-1 serving protein powder ( I use Cellucor because I think the flavor and quality is unmatched! Great news, they came out with new flavors and my new favorite for this dessert is mint chocolate chip!) 
-1 packet nectresse or stevia (any kind of natural sweetener you like)
-1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
-2 tsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk 

Mix all together and put in freezer for 30 min up to a few hours depending on the consistency you like!

extra add ins:
-1 Tbsp chia seeds (love the crunch they add)
-Pb 2 powder peanut butter (I have no self control with pb or powder pb but it is delicious if you use chocolate or vanilla protein powder. Side note they also sell it at Walmart now!)
-Quest bar
-Fruit
-Almonds

Broiled/Baked Quest bar
-I used the broiler in my toaster oven and would say it takes about 4 minutes. Place the bar on aluminum foil and keep a close eye on it because it can go from toasty and delicious to burnt real quick. When the top starts to get golden brown it is done!

-To bake set the oven to 350 degrees and bake around 5-8 min depending on your oven. I cut my bar into pieces and place on aluminum foil. Also, keep a close eye on these and flip half way through! 



No comments:

Post a Comment